It's day 2 of the #EndNurseAbuse challenge. Today's tip is to be prepared.
There’s no way to guarantee that you will never be the target of violence. But there are actions you can take to better equip yourself should the need arise. Look into taking one or more of these steps today:
- Take the CDC’s free course on workplace violence prevention for nurses.
- Learn ways to de-escalate violent situations.
- Take a self-defense class.
- Be familiar with your employer’s safety policies, procedures, and measures.
- If an escort is available or offered, use them.
- Identify what support is available from your employer following an incident.
- Volunteer to participate in a facility-wide committee investigating incidents.
- Update your emergency contact document and your will.
- Consider implementing a code word for bullying and/or other workplace violence that can be announced when nurses feel they are being threatened. In this way, nurses can alert their colleagues to the issue, but not the general public.
Which of these actions will you take today? Let us know here, or in our discussion, Facebook group, or reply to us on twitter.
Find this helpful? Use the social media links on the bottom or left side of your page to share it. Catch up here and join us on day 3.