Do Something Extra Nice Today
It's day 10 of the Renew Challenge. As a nurse, you’re constantly helping others. It’s part of your job. But taking care of patients at work is different than a random act of kindness.
Science shows that helping others boosts feel-good hormones like serotonin and dopamine. It increases empathy and smiling and counteracts the effects of the stress hormone cortisol.
Being nice is just plain good for you.
Focus your day on going above and beyond. Try something like:
- Paying for the customer behind you at the coffee shop
- Complimenting the first 3 people you talk to today
- Letting someone else have the closer parking spot
- Making an extra lunch for a person in need
- Sending a thank-you email to a coworker who deserves recognition
Have you been the recipient of a random act of kindness? How did it make you feel? Let us know in our discussion or on Facebook.
Find this helpful? Use the social media links on this page to share it with a nurse. Invite them to join the Renew challenge, powered by support from Humana.
Want to get our tips delivered via text? Text healthynurse to 52886.