How Much Of Your Diet Is Plant-based Foods?
It's day 5 of the Healthy Recipe Toolbox Challenge.
More and more people are becoming flexitarians — meaning they only consume meat occasionally. But protein is an essential component of a healthy diet, which makes plant-based proteins all-the-more important.
According to our research, 39% of people are actively trying to incorporate more plant-based foods into their diet, and 49% of people have increased their vegetable intake over the past year. That’s great news! The health benefits of a plant-based diet (like Mediterranean or vegetarian diets) are clear:
- Supports the immune system
- Reduces inflammation, which is linked to conditions like cancer and arthritis
- Helps maintain a healthy weight
- Lowers risk for conditions like stroke, diabetes, cancer, and even some mental illnesses
- Improves digestion with increased fiber intake
Plant-Based Protein and Dairy Alternatives
Not sure how to go without dairy or meat? Due to the increase in flexitarians, meat and dairy alternatives are readily available (although they may still be cooked on grills with meat):
- Plant-based “meats” offered at major restaurant chains
- Jackfruit is offered at some barbecue restaurants in place of pulled pork or shredded chicken
- Cashew cheese is completely dairy free
- Alternatives to dairy milk, like coconut, almond, or oat milk, have flooded grocery stores
- Almond milk ricotta is a cheese made from dairy-free almond milk
How do you feel about the challenge so far? Let us know in the updates section here, our private Facebook group, or on Twitter, or Instagram.
Find this helpful? Use the social media links on the left side of your page to share it with a nurse and invite them to join Healthy Nurse, Healthy Nation!
Missed day 4? Catch up here. Join us on day 6.
Sponsored by support from Morrison Healthcare, a Division of Compass One Healthcare
Join Now - It's Free!
Join now to get immediate access to:
Log In or Join Now
- Health surveys with customized results and recommendations
- Fun and engaging monthly health challenges
- Giveaways, discounts and chances to win health-oriented gifts
- An online community to connect you to others with similar goals – share stories, gain best practices
Log In or Join Now