Welcome to day 8 of the Decompress – Where’s Your Happy Place? powered by Compass One
There’s something refreshing and rejuvenating about selfless acts of kindness. When you do something for others without expecting anything in return, you’re bound to feel good about yourself. Scheduling volunteer time as your “me time” is the perfect way to make a difference while also focusing on what makes you feel good.
We encourage you to complete a random act of kindness. This can be something as simple as writing a handwritten note of encouragement to a loved one or coworker, or giving your time to a local animal shelter. You could also:
- Clean up your local parks, cemeteries, lakes, or landmarks — This gets you in nature, helps you to meet new people with varying interests, and improves your community.
- Volunteer at a local food bank — Whether you’re behind the scenes cooking food or front and center serving a meal, it’s an opportunity to give to those less fortunate.
- Offer to do yardwork for an elderly neighbor — You’re helping someone who needs it while staying active and spending time outside. Win-win-win!
- Babysit someone’s kids for free — Give a loved one a short break from parenthood without the pressure of paying for a babysitter.
Giving your time and talents to others can improve your own well-being. So, while this challenge is about scheduling “me time,” remember that giving of yourself also benefits you. Eventually, your kindness will come full circle.
What are you thinking about doing? Share it with us. Post a photo or video et us know in the challenge update thread here, in our private Facebook group, or on Twitter, or Instagram and tag us with #healthynurse.
If you found this helpful, use the social media links on the left side of your page to share it with a nurse and invite them to join Healthy Nurse, Healthy Nation!
Missed day 7? Catch up here. Join us on day 9.
Join Now - It's Free!
Join now to get immediate access to:
Log In or Join Now
- Health surveys with customized results and recommendations
- Fun and engaging monthly health challenges
- Giveaways, discounts and chances to win health-oriented gifts
- An online community to connect you to others with similar goals – share stories, gain best practices
Log In or Join Now