Tonight Make Time For Self-care
Welcome to day 3 of the #WeAreinThisTogether Student Nurse Wellness challenge.
You cannot take care of patients if you don’t first take care of yourself. That’s one of the ongoing themes of Healthy Nurse, Healthy Nation™, and a motto we hear often from HNHN participants. In fact, Provision 5 of the Code of Ethics for nurses states that, “The nurse owes the same duties to self as to others, including the responsibility to promote health and safety, preserve wholeness of character and integrity, maintain competence, and continue personal and professional growth.”
Prioritizing your well-being should begin as early in your nursing career as possible. The better established this practice is, the more resilience and emotional, mental, and physical health you will have in the long-run.
Start with these key areas:
It’s counterintuitive, but sometimes self-care can seem overwhelming. Here are ways to simplify it:
- Use an app: Apps like Headspace have guided meditations, motivational playlists, and exercises to help you fall asleep, which can help take the guesswork out of what to do. And all HNHN members are eligible for a free one-year subscription to Headspace Plus!
- Buddy up: Exchange ideas with friends or make spending time with a bestie (either virtually or in-person, if it’s safe to do so) part of your self-care routine.
- Schedule it: Just like you designate time for studying, add a weekly block of time for doing something you love. How does starting the week off with #SelfcareSunday sound? Post what you do this sunday and tag us with #healthynurse!
Join Now - It's Free!
- Health surveys with customized results and recommendations
- Fun and engaging monthly health challenges
- Giveaways, discounts and chances to win health-oriented gifts
- An online community to connect you to others with similar goals – share stories, gain best practices
Log In or Join Now