It's day 5 of the Leveling Your A1C challenge, powered by support from Morrison Healthcare, A Division of Compass One Healthcare.
Did you know the heart-healthy Mediterranean diet can lower your risk of developing type 2 diabetes — and improve your A1C?
Today is the perfect time to model your current food choices after one of the healthiest diets out there. You don’t have to go all out, but you can make your meals more “Mediterranean” by adding:
- Whole grains
- Plant proteins
- Olive oil
Choose at least one of these tips to follow today, then slowly add more into your diet:
- Fill at least 50% of your plate with vegetables
- Get your protein mainly from seafood, beans, peas, lentils, nuts and nut butters, and seeds and seed butters
- Use good fats (like avocado and olive oil) in your meals
- Choose whole grains for at least half of your day’s grain servings, usually 6-8 servings
- Have fruit for dessert
- Drink water instead of other beverages
Learn more about the Mediterranean diet for heart health.
Tell us how you're doing in the challenge so far here or reply to us on Twitter, in our private Facebook group or Instagram. Remember to tag us with #healthynurse!
Find this helpful? Use the social media links on the left side of your page to share it with a nurse and invite them to join Healthy Nurse, Healthy Nation!
Sponsored by Support from Morrison Healthcare, A Division of Compass One Healthcare
Join Now - It's Free!
- Health surveys with customized results and recommendations
- Fun and engaging monthly health challenges
- Giveaways, discounts and chances to win health-oriented gifts
- An online community to connect you to others with similar goals – share stories, gain best practices
Log In or Join Now