When was the last time you put yourself first?
As a nurse coach and founder of Therapeutic Professionals, Mary Turner, RN, dedicates her career to putting nurses in the patient’s seat. She listens to them, cares for them, and supports them.
“So many nurses give, give, give, but are unable to receive,” said Mary. “Only to the measure that we ourselves are healed can we heal others.”
That is why every year, Mary hosts the Holistic Playshop & Wellness Retreat for Nurses. The three-day event is open to nurses and other medical professionals who want to:
- Unplug from the tiresome, daily routine
- Release built up stress
- Connect with nature
- Practice self-care
- Try a delicious whole-foods, plant-based diet
Bettering Nurses’ Lives
Mary led three sessions during the 2019 retreat, which covered topics of forgiveness, healing your body, and feeling good. Other topics covered by different speakers included How to Meditate, Hemp Does the Body Well, and Orgasmic Medicine.
At the retreat, attendees get the opportunity to attend hour-long sessions and learn something new from charismatic speakers. In between those sessions, guests can participate in their choice of entertaining activities, such as zip lining, horseback riding, or something more relaxing like a massage or nature walks.
The purpose is to help nurses learn more about themselves and develop their strengths so they can take control of their lives and well-being. It gives nurses the “me” time they so desperately need, all while providing learning and physical activity opportunities to strengthen the mind and body.
Mary has seen nurses thrive after attending this retreat. They leave refreshed and rejuvenated. Attendees at past retreats especially enjoyed the all plant-based diet, the unique session topics, and the juicing and detox workshop.
Similar to the principles of ANA’s Healthy Nurse Healthy Nation™ (HNHN) program, Mary encourages all nurses to take the time to make themselves a priority.
“Everything is centered around mindset,” she said. “When you understand how wellness affects you, you’ll change your life. Transformation occurs through insights.”
She also suggests:
- Practice what you preach: We hope when our wake-up call happens, it isn’t from a preventable health problem. We have to do the things we suggest to our patients to take care of themselves. Self-care is healthcare.
- Find some time for yourself: Many people want to go to a retreat to focus on themselves, but think they can’t afford it. Do some research. Look into different retreats, workshops, or seminars that are affordable and doable.
When you change your mindset, you change your life. Life is meant to be good!
Mary Turner, RN, is a nurse coach with Therapeutic Professionals.
Are you a #HealthyNurse? Would you like to be highlighted in our next #HealthyNurse Spotlight? Contact us here to share your stories.
Have you joined the Healthy Nurse, Healthy Nation (HNHN) Grand Challenge yet? Join us today!
Join Now - It's Free!
Join now to get immediate access to:
Log In or Join Now
- Health surveys with customized results and recommendations
- Fun and engaging monthly health challenges
- Giveaways, discounts and chances to win health-oriented gifts
- An online community to connect you to others with similar goals – share stories, gain best practices
Log In or Join Now