Let Nurses Know You Want To Hear From Them
Workplace violence against nurses is a disturbing and ongoing problem. One in four nurses has been assaulted at work and health care workers are more likely to be exposed to violence than prison guards or police officers. According to ANA’s 2013-2016 Health Risk Appraisal, 9 percent of nurses fear for their physical safety on the job. These stats are unacceptable. Nurses and their employers must work together to combat this dangerous problem.
ANA’s Incivility, Bullying, and Workplace Violence Position Statement explains that employer commitment is the foundation of an effective workplace violence prevention program. As we start the #EndNurseAbuse challenge we focus on what employers can do to prevent nurses from experiencing violence. The suggested tips this week are intended to help foster discussion on the broader topic on how employers can make their organizations a safer place for nurses.
It's day 5 of the challenge. Today's tip is to let nurses know you want to hear from them. Make sure your colleagues know that management encourages and expects all violent incidents to be reported, including threats, “near misses,” or unacceptable actions from patients, visitors, and other employees, including fellow nurses. Let your nurses know that you are committed to:
- Thoroughly investigating all violent incidents or threats
- Inviting them to share weaknesses within the reporting system, so the process and communication can be improved
- Continuously working to strengthen the response to workplace violence and the processes that are in place to make it more effective
- Providing counseling and support following an incident
Find this helpful? Use the social media links on the bottom or left side of your page to share it. Missed our day 3? You can access it here.
Learn more about Healthy Nurse, Healthy Nation! Consider becoming an partner.
Join Now - It's Free!
Join now to get immediate access to:
Log In or Join Now
- Health surveys with customized results and recommendations
- Fun and engaging monthly health challenges
- Giveaways, discounts and chances to win health-oriented gifts
- An online community to connect you to others with similar goals – share stories, gain best practices
Log In or Join Now