Are They Getting Enough Rest?
Welcome to day 5 of the Embracing Caregivers Challenge!
Being constantly exhausted is not good for the body and mind. Everyone needs a break. Getting plenty of rest is not only crucial for preventing caregiver burnout, it’s also essential for fixing it.
As you talk with the caregiver and get a sense of their well-being, offer tips to help them get the rest they need. Remind them that they:
- Don’t need to ask their loved one for permission to take a break
- May feel guilty for taking a break, but that’s OK — it just means they care
- Should still strive for the recommended 7-9 hours of sleep each night
- Will need more sleep at first if they’re already sleep deprived
- Should never be afraid or too proud to ask for help, so they can rest
Use these resources to share tips for getting quality sleep:
- 6 Ways to Fight Caregiver Sleep Deprivation
- How Your Diet Could Be Affecting Your Sleep
- Fall Asleep Faster
Find this helpful? Use the social media links on the left side of your page to share it with a nurse and invite them to join Healthy Nurse, Healthy Nation!
Join us on day 6. Missed day 4? Catch up here.