Are You Available?
Welcome to day 7 of the Embracing Caregivers Challenge!
You understand firsthand the physical and emotional demands that come with caregiving. Use this shared experience to offer caregivers help. Let them know you are available when appropriate and provide detailed info on how they can contact you for advice and recommendations.
For example, you could share these ideas to help caregivers manage stress from Mayo Clinic:
- Accept help: By talking with you, the caregiver is already following this step.
- Focus on what you can provide: Help them eliminate caregiver guilt. Let them know their care is instrumental in your patient’s well-being. Make them feel important and capable.
- Set realistic goals: Encourage the caregiver to make lists, set priorities, and stay organized. Create a to-do list together for them to use when the patient is discharged.
- Seek social support: To prevent the caregiver from becoming isolated, suggest that they join a support group and schedule regular “getaway” time with loved ones.
Remember: It’s OK if you don’t have all of the advice they need in the moment. But if you make a promise to the caregiver to find the answer, follow through. Do your research and come back with an answer in a reasonable amount of time.
Has a caregiver reached out to you? Let us know in the challenge updates section here, our private Facebook group, or on Twitter, or Instagram.
Find this helpful? Use the social media links on the left side of your page to share it with a nurse and invite them to join Healthy Nurse, Healthy Nation!
Join us on day 8. Missed day 6? Catch up here.
Join Now - It's Free!
Join now to get immediate access to:
Log In or Join Now
- Health surveys with customized results and recommendations
- Fun and engaging monthly health challenges
- Giveaways, discounts and chances to win health-oriented gifts
- An online community to connect you to others with similar goals – share stories, gain best practices
Log In or Join Now