Train For A 5K!
Welcome to day 5 of the Possibilities Unlimited challenge, powered by support from Humana.
Training for a race or event is the perfect way to get out of your exercise comfort zone. A 5K, which is 3.1 miles long, is an ideal place to start.
Whether you want to push yourself to run or want to complete a race walking, both are notable goals. There are multiple programs you can use to train safely and effectively. A popular example is Couch to 5K (C25K). It is “designed to get just about anyone from the couch to running 5 kilometers (or 30 minutes) in just 9 weeks.”
Here’s how it works:
- Search for and download the free C25K app on your mobile device
- Put on comfortable walking/jogging shoes and clothes
- Go to Week 1, Day 1 of the program and click “Start”
- The app will tell you when to warm up, walk, run, and cool down
C25K gradually builds your stamina so you can go from mostly walking to mostly running in a matter of weeks. The best part: If you don’t feel you can run as often (or as long) as it suggests, simply walk. You can make it your own.
How did your workout outside go yesterday? Tell us here or in our private Facebook group, on Twitter or Instagram. Even better, post a photo of your workouts. We'd love to see them! Remember to tag us with #healthynurse.
Find this helpful? Use the social media links on the left side of your page to share it with a nurse and invite them to join Healthy Nurse, Healthy Nation!
Missed day 4? Catch up here.
Sponsored by support from
Join Now - It's Free!
Join now to get immediate access to:
Log In or Join Now
- Health surveys with customized results and recommendations
- Fun and engaging monthly health challenges
- Giveaways, discounts and chances to win health-oriented gifts
- An online community to connect you to others with similar goals – share stories, gain best practices
Log In or Join Now