Control Your Carbs
Welcome to day 2 of the Leveling Your A1C challenge, powered by support from Morrison Healthcare, A Division of Compass One Healthcare.
One of the best ways you can maintain healthy blood sugar levels is by eating the right kind of carbohydrates. Carbs have a direct impact on glucose levels. When you eat foods with carbs, the body breaks them down into sugar, which enters the blood.
For healthy blood sugar, you don’t have to avoid carbs completely. Eating complex carbs is better than simple carbs. Complex carbs contain more fiber and take longer to digest, whereas simple carbs contain more sugar. Sugar spikes blood glucose levels, whereas complex carbs have more nutrients.
Starting today, examine your food’s nutrition labels. Look at the carb content. If it contains high amounts of fiber, it’s a complex carb — a healthier option. If it contains high amounts of sugar, it’s a simple carb.
Foods with complex carbs include:
- Starchy foods like whole grains, brown rice
- Fruit (including dried, frozen, and canned) and juice
- Milk and yogurt
- Dried beans like pinto beans and soy products like veggie burgers
- Starchy vegetables like potatoes and corn
Cut back on sweets and snack foods like sodas, juice drinks, cake, cookies, candy, and chips. These will raise your blood sugar levels.
Need more information? Consult with your healthcare provider or registered dietician to learn how many carbs you should eat, particularly if you have been diagnosed with diabetes.
Did this challenge tip inspire you? Use the social media links on the left side of your page to share it with a nurse and invite them to join Healthy Nurse, Healthy Nation!
Haven't yet signed up for the Leveling Your A1C challenge, powered by support from Morrison Healthcare, A Division of Compass One Healthcare? Sign up here or text healthynurse to 52886.
Sponsored by Support from Morrison Healthcare, A Division of Compass One Healthcare
Join Now - It's Free!
- Health surveys with customized results and recommendations
- Fun and engaging monthly health challenges
- Giveaways, discounts and chances to win health-oriented gifts
- An online community to connect you to others with similar goals – share stories, gain best practices
Log In or Join Now