Move Your Body, Clear Your Mind Challenge, Sponsored By Humana - Day 1 - Walk By Water
Water does more for the body and mind than simply keeping us hydrated. Whether it's a lake, river, ocean, or even a fountain, many researchers say that being near water can have a positive impact on our well-being by:
- Reducing stress: The sound of water can have a calming effect on our minds and bodies, helping us feel more relaxed and at ease.
- Improving mood: Spending time in nature and near water can help boost our mood and increase feelings of happiness and well-being.
- Promoting better sleep: Being near water can lower stress and anxiety levels, which can interfere with our ability to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Boosting creativity: The calming effects of water can also help enhance our creativity and problem-solving abilities.
Depending on what’s most doable for you, try one of these methods to do some walking by a body of water:
- Take a walk by a nearby river or lake during your lunch break or after work.
- Find a park with a fountain or pond and sit by it for a few minutes.
- Plan a weekend getaway to a beach or lake destination to fully immerse yourself in the benefits of being near water.
- Consider practicing mindfulness or meditation by the water to fully reap the benefits of the calming effects of water.
If you can’t get near water but are able to walk outside, try forest bathing. You’ll still reap many of the same health benefits.
Let us know how your day 1 went in our challenge update thread here, in our private Facebook group, or on Twitter, or Instagram (tag us with #healthynurse!).
Find this helpful? Use the social media links on the left side of your page to share this with a nurse and invite them to join Healthy Nurse, Healthy Nation!
We’re just getting started! Join us for day 2!
I absolutely LOVE being around water. Being in a swimming pool, floating on my back with my ears under the water, staring up at the sky…… Im basically in heaven!! One of my all time favorite memories is when I had my own private balcony next to the ocean in Cancun Mex., and I left the door open every night to feel the ocean breeze and hear the waves…. again, heaven. Im also a massage therapist, and having a fountain with trickling water is so peaceful and calming. Its such a soft bubbling of moving energy…. So many reasons to love water. I could go on for days about how much I love water in nature, but I'll spare you all. LOL